By: Dutton H.B. No. 774
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
relating to courses offered to public school students placed in
alternative education programs.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 37.008(a), Education Code, is amended to
read as follows:
(a) Each school district shall provide an alternative
education program that:
(1) is provided in a setting other than a student's
(2) is located on or off of a regular school campus;
(3) provides for the students who are assigned to the
alternative education program to be separated from students who are
not assigned to the program;
(4) focuses on English language arts, mathematics,
science, history, and self-discipline;
(5) provides for students' educational and behavioral
needs, including, in accordance with commissioner rule, a course
necessary for a high school student to fulfill the student's high
school graduation requirements in a timely manner; and
(6) provides supervision and counseling.
SECTION 2. Section 37.008(l), Education Code, is repealed.
SECTION 3. This Act applies beginning with the 2003-2004
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives
a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as
provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this
Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this
Act takes effect September 1, 2003.