H.B. No. 2872
relating to the applicability of certain insurance laws to
multi-peril insurance policies.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 2(a), Article 5.13-2, Insurance Code, is
amended to read as follows:
(a) This article applies to all lines of the following
insurance written under policies or contracts of insurance issued
by an insurer authorized to engage in the business of insurance in
(1) general liability insurance;
(2) residential and commercial property insurance,
including farm and ranch insurance and farm and ranch owners
(3) personal and commercial casualty insurance,
except as provided by Subsection (b) of this section;
(4) medical professional liability insurance;
(5) fidelity and surety bonds other than criminal
court appearance bonds;
(6) personal umbrella insurance;
(7) personal liability insurance;
(8) guaranteed auto protection (GAP) insurance;
(9) involuntary unemployment insurance;
(10) financial guaranty insurance;
(11) inland marine insurance;
(12) rain insurance;
(13) hail insurance on farm crops; [
(14) personal and commercial automobile insurance;
(15) multi-peril insurance.
SECTION 2. Articles 5.81 and 5.81A, Insurance Code, are
SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act applies only
to a multi-peril insurance policy that is delivered, issued for
delivery, or renewed on or after January 1, 2006. A multi-peril
insurance policy that is delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed
before January 1, 2006, is covered by the law in effect at the time
the policy was delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed, and that
law is continued in effect for that purpose.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2005.
President of the Senate Speaker of the House
I certify that H.B. No. 2872 was passed by the House on April
14, 2005, by a non-record vote.
Chief Clerk of the House
I certify that H.B. No. 2872 was passed by the Senate on May
5, 2005, by the following vote: Yeas 31, Nays 0.
Secretary of the Senate