H.R. No. 2095
         WHEREAS, Proud residents of Slaton are celebrating the 100th
  anniversary of their town's founding with a full program of events
  scheduled for July 1 through July 4, 2011; and
         WHEREAS, Named for O. L. Slaton, a local rancher and banker,
  Slaton originated as a railroad town; needing a site that could
  serve as the division point for its line in northwest Texas, the
  Santa Fe Railway Company purchased land for that purpose in April
  1911; the new town was platted with streets radiating outward from
  the central residential and business district, a plan similar to
  that of Washington, D.C.; Slaton was officially established on June
  15, 1911, a day marked by the arrival of the first of four daily
  passenger trains and by the publication of the first issue of the
  Slaton Journal; in less than a year, the rapidly growing town
  boasted a post office, a newspaper, and an independent school
  district; Slaton became the center of the largest division in the
  Santa Fe system and serviced the division's trains with its
  roundhouse and machine shops; the town's economy was based chiefly
  on the railroad and on agriculture, particularly cotton; Slaton is
  reported, in fact, to have ginned the first bale of cotton on the
  South Plains; and
         WHEREAS, Today an attractive, friendly community of some
  6,000 residents, Slaton continues to serve as an agricultural
  center; in 1955, the Santa Fe Railway Company gave Engine 1809 to
  the city of Slaton in tribute to the town's railroad heritage and
  the countless runs the engine made hauling cotton from area farms to
  ports on the Gulf Coast; other points of interest include the Slaton
  Museum, the Harvey House, a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and
  the Texas Air Museum, which maintains several vintage aircraft in
  addition to its exhibits and which hosts periodic air shows; for a
  number of years the annual Sausagefest, sponsored by St. Joseph
  Church and School, has drawn an appreciative throng, and the nearby
  Buffalo Springs Lake and Lake Ransom Canyon, both located in Yellow
  House Canyon, offer a variety of recreational opportunities for
  outdoor enthusiasts; and
         WHEREAS, Over the years, the citizens of Slaton have sought
  to preserve the best of their past while working to build an even
  brighter and more promising future, and they are indeed deserving
  of recognition on this special occasion; now, therefore, be it
         RESOLVED, That the House of Representatives of the 82nd Texas
  Legislature hereby commemorate the centennial of Slaton and extend
  to its residents sincere best wishes for a grand and memorable
  Speaker of the House     
         I certify that H.R. No. 2095 was adopted by the House on May
  26, 2011, by a non-record vote.
  Chief Clerk of the House