By: Williams  S.B. No. 723
         (In the Senate - Filed February 15, 2011; February 23, 2011,
  read first time and referred to Committee on Jurisprudence;
  April 14, 2011, reported favorably by the following vote:  Yeas 4,
  Nays 2, 1 present not voting; April 14, 2011, sent to printer.)
  relating to the proof of an applicant's identity and age required
  for the issuance of a marriage license.
         SECTION 1.  Subsection (b), Section 2.005, Family Code, is
  amended to read as follows:
         (b)  The proof must be established by:
               (1)  a driver's license or identification card issued
  by this state, another state, or a Canadian province that is current
  or has expired not more than two years preceding the date the
  identification is submitted to the county clerk in connection with
  an application for a license;
               (2)  a United States passport;
               (3)  a current passport issued by a foreign country or a
  consular document issued by a state or national government;
               (4)  an unexpired Certificate of United States
  Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization, United States Citizen
  Identification Card, Permanent Resident Card, Temporary Resident
  Card, Employment Authorization Card, or other document issued by
  the federal Department of Homeland Security or the United States
  Department of State including an identification photograph;
               (5)  an unexpired military identification card for
  active duty, reserve, or retired personnel with an identification
               (6)  an original or certified copy of a birth
  certificate issued by a bureau of vital statistics for a state or a
  foreign government;
               (7)  an original or certified copy of a Consular Report
  of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the United
  States Department of State;
               (8)  an original or certified copy of a court order
  relating to the applicant's name change [or sex change];
               (9)  school records from a secondary school or
  institution of higher education;
               (10)  an insurance policy continuously valid for the
  two years preceding the date of the application for a license;
               (11)  a motor vehicle certificate of title;
               (12)  military records, including documentation of
  release or discharge from active duty or a draft record;
               (13)  an unexpired military dependent identification
               (14)  an original or certified copy of the applicant's
  marriage license or divorce decree;
               (15)  a voter registration certificate;
               (16)  a pilot's license issued by the Federal Aviation
  Administration or another authorized agency of the United States;
               (17)  a license to carry a concealed handgun under
  Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code;
               (18)  a temporary driving permit or a temporary
  identification card issued by the Department of Public Safety; or
               (19)  an offender identification card issued by the
  Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
         SECTION 2.  The change in law made by this Act applies only
  to an application for a marriage license submitted to a county clerk
  on or after the effective date of this Act. An application for a
  marriage license submitted before the effective date of this Act is
  governed by the law in effect immediately before that date, and the
  former law is continued in effect for that purpose.
         SECTION 3.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2011.
  * * * * *