** REVISION **
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
COMMITTEE: Human Services
TIME & DATE: 9:00 AM, Tuesday, November 13, 2018
The committee will meet to consider the following items:
Interim Charge 4
· Review the availability of prevention and early intervention programs and their effectiveness in reducing maltreatment of children.
· Review services available to children aging out of foster care, as well as services available to families post-adoption. Determine if current services are adequately providing for children's and families' needs and meeting the objectives of the programs.
· Determine the need for system improvements, especially in the area of Trauma Informed Care, and how it impacts the outcomes for children and families.
· Determine what training is necessary to achieve the intended results of a trauma-informed system of care. Evaluate the potential benefits of trauma-informed care training for all individuals who interacts with children in the foster care system.
· Review the work of the Supreme Court of Texas Children's Commissions' Statewide Collaborative of Trauma-Informed Care to determine how trauma-informed care impacts outcomes for children.
Analyze the current reimbursement methodology and rates for the assigned levels of care in the foster care system, with a focus on the impact the rates have on those agencies providing services and care for children.
Study the prevalence of mental illness diagnoses on children in the foster care system who have experienced trauma, the impact of these diagnoses on use of psychotropic medication, and the outcomes for these children.
Study whether the occurrence of abuse and neglect in nursing facilities has reduced, focusing on the types of abuse and HHSC’s regulatory oversight. The committee will also study whether existing state and federal laws and regulations provide sufficient deterrent effect, including current requirements for conducting employee criminal background checks.
Public testimony on the listed agenda items may be limited to 3 minutes.
The committee will also accept for consideration written testimony on any of the committee's assigned interim charges.
** See Committee Coordinator for previous
NOTICE OF ASSISTANCE AT PUBLIC MEETINGS
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need assistance, such as a sign language interpreter, are requested to contact Stacey Nicchio at (512) 463-0850, 72 hours prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made.