HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
NOTICE OF FORMAL REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and challenges in scheduling public
hearings at this time, the House Committee on Appropriations is conducting necessary oversight functions through an information gathering process under Section 301.014, Government Code.
This is notice that the committee is seeking information and input from
the public. Submissions received in response to this request will be
transmitted to members of the committee and posted on the House website at https://house.texas.gov/committees/committee/?committee=C030.
· Submissions must be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF.
· Submissions are requested to be limited to 5 pages in length.
· Please submit a separate document for each topic to which you are responding.
· Submissions must be submitted via e-mail to Appropriations@house.texas.gov and are requested to include “HAC” in the first part of the Subject for quick identification.
· Please include the following information in the submission email: submitter name, organization or entity (if applicable and an authorized representative), mailing address, email, and telephone number.
· The deadline for all submissions is Wednesday, September 30.
· Comments received in response to this Request for Information will be publicly posted on TLO, TLIS, and the House website. When submitting comments, please remove any personal identifying information, such as your personal phone number, residence address, or e-mail address.
Interim Charge 1: Monitor and oversee the implementation of appropriations bills and other relevant legislation passed by the 86th Legislature. In conducting this oversight, the Committee will also specifically monitor implementation of appropriations for:
· Human and sex trafficking legislation;
· Revenue projections for the Crime Victims' Compensation Fund; and
· Implementation of procurement and contracting reforms at state agencies.
Interim Charge 2: Review and evaluate the actuarial soundness of the Employees Retirement System and Teacher Retirement System pension funds. Examine the cost of and potential strategies for achieving and maintaining the actuarial soundness of the funds. Examine the effect the unfunded liabilities could have on the state's credit rating. Examine the state's investment policies and practices, including investment objectives, targets, disclosure policies, and transparency. (Joint charge with the House Committee on Pensions, Investments & Financial Services)
Interim Charge 3: Examine the cost of state employee turnover on the state budget and review the impact of recent targeted salary increases, including those at the Health and Human Services Commission and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
Interim Charge 4: Evaluate the volume and efficacy of reporting requirements required in the General Appropriations Act and identify opportunities to streamline and consolidate agency reporting requirements.
Interim Charge 5: . Monitor the implementation of SB 68, providing for expanded implementation of the Strategic Fiscal Review process.
Interim Charge 6: Examine the number, type, and estimated value of accounts maintained outside of the State Treasury, and the potential impact to state budget certification made by moving additional funds outside the Treasury.
Interim Charge 7: Identify structural changes that can be made to the Economic Stabilization Fund (ESF) in order to maximize investments and establish a source of funding for long-term liabilities. Examine the potential of using the fund for long-term infrastructure projects and the impact of the constitutional cap on the ESF balance.
Interim Charge 8: Monitor the State Auditor's review of agencies and programs. The Chair shall seek input and periodic briefings on completed audits for the 2019 and 2020 fiscal years with potential impact on the appropriations process and bring forth pertinent issues for full committee consideration.
In the event it becomes feasible to safely conduct a public meeting, the
Committee reserves the right to hold an in-person hearing on these