** REVISION **
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
COMMITTEE: Mass Violence Prevention & Community Safety, Select
TIME & DATE: 9:00 AM, Wednesday, March 11, 2020
Texas (see details below)
** MEETING CANCELED **
The committee will meet to hear invited and public testimony at the University of Houston, Student Center Ballroom, Student Center South(Room 210), located at 4455 University Drive, Houston, Texas 77204.
The committee will hear invited testimony on the following duty only:
(4) evaluate the ongoing and long-term workforce needs of the state related to cybersecurity, mental health, law enforcement, and related professionals;
The committee will hear public testimony on the following duties:
(1) examine options for strengthening enforcement measures for current laws that prevent the transfer of firearms to felons and other persons prohibited by current law from possessing firearms;
(2) examine impediments and challenges to the timely reporting of relevant criminal history information and other threat indicators to state and federal databases;
(3) examine the role of digital media and technology in threat detection, assessment, reporting, and prevention, including the collaboration between digital media and law enforcement;
(4) evaluate the ongoing and long-term workforce needs of the state related to cybersecurity, mental health, law enforcement, and related professionals; and
(5) evaluate current protocols and extreme risk indicators used to identify potential threats and consider options for improving the dissemination of information between federal, state, and local entities and timely and appropriate intervention of mental health professionals.
Public testimony will be limited to three (3) minutes per witness in order to accommodate as many witnesses as possible.
If providing written testimony, please provide 15 copies.
Map of the University of Houston & parking: Please copy and paste the following into your browser:
Parking: Public parking is only available in the Welcome Center Student Garage located at 4848 Calhoun Road, Houston, Texas 77204. Validation tickets for parking can be retrieved at the witness registration table at the hearing.
** See Committee Coordinator for previous
NOTICE OF ASSISTANCE AT PUBLIC MEETINGS
Persons with disabilities who plan to attend this meeting and who may need assistance, such as a sign language interpreter, are requested to contact Stacey Nicchio at (512) 463-0850, 72 hours prior to the meeting so that appropriate arrangements can be made.