HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
NOTICE OF FORMAL REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
COMMITTEE: Mass Violence Prevention & Community Safety, Select
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and challenges in
scheduling public hearings at this time, the House Select Committee on
Mass Violence Prevention and Community Safety is conducting necessary
oversight functions through an information gathering process under Section
301.014, Government Code. This is notice that the Select Committee is
seeking information and input from the public. Submissions received in
response to this request will be transmitted to members of the Select
Committee and posted on the House website:
· The Select Committee seeks specific information from the Designated Parties listed below. Any questions from Select Committee members will be submitted to these Parties today, August 13, 2020, with responses due via email by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 24, 2020. Questions submitted to Designated Parties by Select Committee members are posted under the "Responses" heading on the Select Committee's "Formal Request for Information" page on the House website: https://house.texas.gov/committees/committee/requests-for-information/?committeeCode=C385
· The Select Committee also seeks submissions from the public, which are due via email by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 31, 2020.
· Submissions must be in Microsoft Word.
· Submissions are requested to be limited to six (6) pages in length. This limit includes any graphs, photos, spreadsheets, or charts, etc.
· Submissions must be submitted via email to email@example.com, and are requested to include "Duty # 1 Submission" in the subject line of the email.
· Please include the following information in the body of the submission email: submitter name (first and last name), organization or entity (if applicable and an authorized representative), mailing address, email address, and telephone number.
· Comments received in response to this Formal Request for Information will be publicly posted on the Texas Legislature Online (TLO), Texas Legislative Information System (TLIS), and the House website.
· When submitting comments, please remove any personal identifying information from the Word document, such as your personal phone number, residence address, or email address (only your name and authorized organization or entity, if applicable, should be at the header of the Word document).
· Designated Party: The deadline for receipt of Designated Party comments via email is 5:00 p.m. Monday, August 24, 2020. Submissions received by Designated Parties will be posted under the "Responses" heading on the Select Committee's "Formal Request for Information" page on the House website by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 26, 2020.
· Public: The deadline for receipt of public comments via email is 5:00 p.m. Monday, August 31, 2020. Submissions received by the public will be posted under the "Responses" heading on the Select Committee's "Formal Request for Information" page on the House website by 12:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2, 2020.
Duty (1): examine options for strengthening enforcement measures for current laws that prevent the transfer of firearms to felons and other persons prohibited by current law from possessing firearms;
Duty (1) Designated Parties:
· Alexandra Cantrell, Public Policy Manager, Texas Council on Family Violence
· Shelli Egger, Staff Attorney, Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
· Darren LaSorte, Director, Government Relations, National Shooting Sports Foundation
· Tara Mica, Texas State Director, National Rifle Association-Institute for Legislative Action
· Gyl Switzer, Executive Director, Texas Gun Sense
· Emily Taylor, Partner, Walker & Taylor, PLLC
In the event it becomes feasible to safely conduct a public hearing, the
Select Committee reserves the right to hold an in-person hearing.
If you need assistance with submissions or have any questions, please
contact the Select Committee at (512) 463-0331 or via email at